On 12/5/2011 1:34 PM PT, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] typed:

On 12/5/11 6:39 AM, Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP] wrote:
Did we ever come up with a sure way of tricking sites into thinking we
are using Firefox?

I need to switch banks and it appears they only accept the browsers on
their list.

Isn't this what the "Advertise Firefox compatibility" setting in 2.6
under HTTP Networking supposed to accomplish?

As I indicated earlier in this thread, I was a customer of a bank that
rejected
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121
                Firefox/8.0.1 SeaMonkey/2.5
because it had more than "Firefox/8.0.1" in the UA string.  All other
financial institutions where I had online accounts allowed
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0.1) Gecko/20111121
                SeaMonkey/2.5
without any spoofing of Firefox.

For the one bank, I used PrefBar to spoof with
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101
                Firefox/8.0  (not really)
Somehow, the "(not really)" was acceptable.

Yes, I could see why that would be. It would nice if when that option
is checked in Preferences it just flatly reports the UA string as
Firefox/8.0.1 and omits the SeaMonkey/2.5 portion. This would probably
work in cases where the Web admin was basing things solely on the UA
string to allow or not allow it to work which doesn't sound like a
good idea.

Do other web sites have this problem only that bank (which one was it? I am late to this newsgroup thread)?
--
"I've been on some fairways that are as good as the greens we putted on back then. We had crab grass. I remember one green where I putted through ants." --Sam Snead