On 8/23/2012 10:02 AM, Ken wrote:
     I have a 93 year old stepmother living 1000 miles from where I
live. She actually does amazingly well on the computer and Internet, but
occasionally has problems.  Sometimes it is inadvertently clicking on
something, and that changing the way her browser or mail works.  She is
using the latest version of SeaMonkey, as am I.  When she encounters a
problem, I get her on the phone and while both of us are on the computer
try to picture what she is encountering, and see if I can correct her
problem.  Listed below is her latest problem and her description of it:
______________
     "I have a question.  When I am reading my new emails, the note
appears, "Compact Now?"  I just discovered if I say yes it deletes all
the messages that I have read, and I did not want them deleted.
In fact, I think that may have been why I lost all those emails, because
I thought I was supposed to say yes, that it was a good thing to do.  I
have not been saying yes, but today I decided that maybe I should
"compact"---whatever that means!!!!!!!!!!, and that is when I couldn't
find the email I had just opened.  Do they go to Trash?"
______________
     In her text above she cites "those Emails" from a previous incident
where she lost her messages in ALL folders, based upon her comments.  I
intend to call her again tonight and walk her through the settings for
her SeaMonkey Email program and see if she has something set that could
explain why her messages in her INBOX were moved or deleted when she
compacted her folders.  I also intend to ask her if she allowed the
compacting to complete before she did something else?

     Does anyone have a possible explanation as to how messages could
have been moved or deleted during the compacting of folders??  I feel
confident that she did something or has set something that caused it,
since I have been using SeaMonkey for years and have never experienced
that type of problem.  Thanks.

I have heard some random comments around here about compacting mail deleting messages. I have had no such issues, and it should not be that way, but apparently some people are experience this. I have no idea if any of them have found a resolution and have not read those threads since I have not experienced this issue. Perhaps look though the archives.

My guess is it interaction with some other software, perhaps putting a lock on the file. Perhaps the Anti Virus software is locking the file at the wrong time and creating a mess.

As the other poster said some remote assistance may be in order.