Lori wrote:

Through the Forum, I learned how to archive Sea Monkey and where,  and I was
grateful.  I've been on computers for years, but not too techie, due to
production push.

When my laptop turned blue (constant blue screens), I sent it back to HP for
repair, specifically asked them to save all my files.  When it came back,
all the mail files on the C:\ drive were gone, together with all my added
software programs.  I was able to  reinstall all the extra programs, but all
the mail was lost.

So, isn't that a call for copying those C:\ files somewhere off the computer
for safekeeping - disc, external drive?

Yep. "If you love me, back me up."

Here are a few basics to look for in a good backup system:

1) Saves your data separate from the system you're backing up. If a disaster will take out both the computer and the backup, you haven't gained anything by using it.

2) Automated, scheduled, regular. If you have to consciously choose to back up, you'll forget or make excuses and it won't happen. That's when disaster will strike and you'll be SOL.

3) Fast and easy, both to back up and to restore. Your backup system should take no more than a few hours to save or restore the entire contents of your HDD. (Incremental backups or specific file restores should take only a few minutes, of course.) A major expense of disaster recovery is reconstituting all your installed programs, customizations, etc., so you don't want to save just a few key data files.

Paul B. Gallagher