MCBastos wrote:

There's not much point in backing up the ENTIRETY of drive C: with
standard backup software. That would include all of Windows itself, and
the installed programs -- which are hard to restore without having
Windows running in the first place. Although the Windows 7 built-in
backup tool apparently does so. If you really want to backup all of
that, you are better off with a disk imaging software rather than a
backup software -- that will copy even non-file structures such as the
boot records.

My backup program lets you create a bootable CD-ROM to recover either files from backups or an entire drive image. I've the C: drive fail and it was a breeze restoring to a new one. That's why you want to backup the entire C: drive. In fact, all the backup programs I've used over the years allowed that.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/