MCBastos wrote:

There's not much point in backing up the ENTIRETY of drive C: with
standard backup software. That would include all of Windows itself,
and the installed programs -- which are hard to restore without
having Windows running in the first place. Although the Windows 7
built-in backup tool apparently does so. If you really want to backup
all of that, you are better off with a disk imaging software rather
than a backup software -- that will copy even non-file structures
such as the boot records.

Modern backup software (and I prefer not to promote any one of several viable options) is quite capable of doing either or both of the tasks of backing up by file or backing up a disk image including the registry. My point in my earlier post was that on those rare occasions where I had a disk or computer crash and had to start over, it took anywhere from several days to over a week to locate all the install disks for all my programs, reinstall them all, update and customize them all, and get to the point where I could actually run the new or repaired computer. I don't know what your labor costs, but for me it was a major expense and inconvenience, and I was ecstatic that I could skip it the last time thanks to a good backup program. In that recent case, I was up and running normally within hours, and most of my customers never knew anything had happened until I told them.

Paul B. Gallagher