Hi,

I'd say there should be three file areas

1. Program files (program binaries.exe go here)
2. User Settings (local or roaming user profile)
3. Data (docs, email, pics, music) - (AKA homeDirectory)

On my own systems the program files and user profiles are on the C drive, data is on a separate D drive or network drive. I then just back up the D drive.

A well designed application will detect the file locations above, and automatically place files in the correct locations, but I seem to remember SeaMonkey (by default) will bury the user data inside the user profile! This might explain why a default backup of the user's homeDirectory would not contain their email.

On my own systems, the first thing I do after a new SM install is to move the Mozilla profile to my D drive - so it's backed up with everything else.

There's an article about moving SM profiles here

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder

Lori wrote:
Archiving Mail.
I do backup to an external hard disc, but never thought of looking there,
because it wasn't set up to back up my C:\ drive; only docs, pics, etc.
In future, I will be making a manual copy of the archives in the C:\ drive.

Today's Topics:  4/12/13

    7. Archiving Mail (Lori)
    8. Re: Archiving Mail (G. Ross)

Message: 7