In <news:07kdnwcye9rg2urlnz2dnuu7-rfnn...@mozilla.org>,
"Paul B. Gallagher" <pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote:

> This morning, I wrote:
>
> > Spell-checked an outgoing message tonight that contained this
> > sentence:
> >
> > For example, the common respectful greeting 오셨습니까
> > means literally, “You’ve come,” and a Korean may end
> > a conversation by saying “Then” (그럼).
> >
> > SM ignored the Korean bit and flagged the word "ve," though it would
> > have been perfectly happy with "You've." It didn't recognize the
> > fancy apostrophe and treated it as a word separator.
> >
> > Any chance someone could fix that?
>
> I did some more experimentation and found:
>
> 1) Standard contractions with the straight (typewriter) apostrophe
> are all recognized normally;
>
> 2) Most but not all contractions with the curly apostrophe are
> recognized. The key factor seems to be that contractions with "’ve"
> for "have" are not recognized, but others such as "I’m," "he’d,"
> "we’re," etc. are fine.
>
> So it looks more like a lexical gap than a software issue. The
> following contractions are not recognized because the spell-checker
> parses them as two words each:
>
> I’ve You’ve We’ve They’ve
> you’ve we’ve they’ve
> Could’ve Should’ve Would’ve Might’ve
> could’ve should’ve would’ve might’ve
>
> The corresponding forms with straight apostrophes are all recognized.

You might take it up with the ultimate upstream for the English (GB,
US, and CA at least) dictionaries,
<http://wordlist.aspell.net/contrib/>.  That page has links to their
mailing list and their bug tracker.  You might want to take a look at
their bug tracker -- there are some entries that seem relevant.  Note
that their online tool to check what lists have what words doesn't work
the same way SM's spellchecker does.  AIUI, that has more to do with
whether characters like the unicode apostrophe are treated as 'word
characters' or not than with the word lists themselves, and you seem to
have ruled out the possibility that SM doesn't treat them as 'word
characters'.