NFN Smith wrote:
Over the last week, I've had a couple of problems with folders on my
primary account. I'm running Seamonkey 2.40 on Windows 7, and the
mailbox in question is a POP account.

1) A few days ago, I found that in one of my folders, most (but not all)
the messages in the folder got duplicated, including read/unread status,
folder icons that show forwarding and/or reply, and tags. The folder was
only a couple hundred messages, and cleaning up was only a mild
irritant, but I've seen this kind of thing happen 2 or 3 times
previously over 3 or 4 years.

Any idea of what's going on?

2) About an hour ago, I found that a bunch of messages have gone missing
from my inbox, and I haven't purged or deleted anything en masse
(although I was doing maintenance work and deleted a handful of messages
one at a time).

Nothing in my trash folder that I can't account for having deleted. This
morning there were about 160 messages in the inbox, and now there's
about 40. An odd thing is that for the messages that are still there,
nearly everything is dated October 2016, but there are two messages with
timestamps of October 2013.

After making a backup of the entire profile, I did delete the MSF file
and re-indexed, on the odd chance that the problem is indexing, but that
didn't accomplish anything.

I have my mail profile backed up (something that I do daily), and it's
easy enough to recover the Inbox file and the accompanying index file,
but I've forgotten how to restore just a single folder.

What I want to do is take just a copy of the backed up inbox, and copy
the messages from the recovered inbox and put them into a folder, where
I can then manually merge back into my regular inbox.

Can anybody remind me how to do this?

You should not be using the inbox for permanent storage. It was not meant to be used that way, and you are likely to have more problems if you keep on doing that. Instead, move messages that you want to keep to another folder. You can create new folders in your account. See this page:
It says Thunderbird, but the same thing applies to SeaMonkey, which has the core of Thunderbird.