EE wrote:
You should not be using the inbox for permanent storage.  It was not
meant to be used that way, and you are likely to have more problems if
you keep on doing that.  Instead, move messages that you want to keep to
another folder.  You can create new folders in your account.  See this
It says Thunderbird, but the same thing applies to SeaMonkey, which has
the core of Thunderbird.

Trust me, I don't use for permanent storage. Before my glitch, I had only 160 messages there, and I'm very aggressive about moving stuff to other folders. I do make a measure of use of sub-folders in the inbox, but that's a sorting function, that allows me to defer and group lower-priority stuff.