Toad wrote:

JIT Java (which we're all running) is also very speedy, there's only a few rare instances where it's worth the trouble to replace code with something natively instead.

Debatable. But most of the problems with Java come from the fact that it
is non-free IMHO. If and when freenet works on GCJ, we benefit from:
1. Reduced CPU usage due to better optimization and no compilation at
run time.

There are optimisations that can be performed at runtime by a JIT which cannot be performed by a native compiler, so it can't be taken for granted that avoiding runtime compilation is an advantage.

Ian.