>Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> I find Java's memory requirements to be totally
> unreasonable, its performance lackluster, and I've
> finally come to the conclusion that it was indeed a
> poor choice of language in which to implement a project
> of this size and complexity.

As far as I see it, freenet is very much a project under development at the
time, so therefore overall functionality and ease of coding should naturally
take precedence over tweaking and local optimization on specific platforms.

Conrad Sabatiers point is certainly valid enough. A little while back I took
my linux box down for a 256MB memory update. When I started it back up, I
was genuinely surprised over the substantial gain in speed and
responsiveness I got from a measely 256MB upgrade - until I realized that I
hadnt started freenet yet. When I did, performance went down the drain right
away.

I would imagine that freenet will eventually reach a point in its
development cycle where both the networking protocol and the API are pretty
fixed and no longer likely to undergo major changes. And at this time, the
focus of the project should be switched to reduction of the system footprint
and increasing the efficiency of execution on different platforms.

I also imagine that freenet, once mature, will be a natural part of most
major linux distros as one of the essentail networks that is supported out
of the box - but that will not be in the form of a java app.

Java is a great prototyping tool for the developers and programmers, but it
is also the cause of many problems for the users. In fact I would estimate
that 90% of the times that I have been called upon to assist someone in
getting freenet to run, the difficulties have been caused by java rather
than freenet itself.

And it IS bloated and it DOES take up a lot of ressources - a fact that I
see mentioned often in the mailing lists. I can imagine that this is also
frustrating for the developers to read, since they cant do much about it -
this is mainly in the hands of Sun Micro Systems...

Regards,