That's because ISPs/Mail are protected by common carrier laws, you are not.  They pass
laws that specifically say that if a company is incorporated as a common carrier, then
the items (or data) they transport aren't their responsibility.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 2:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [freenet-support] anonymity(NOT)

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 14:35:00 -0400 (EDT), [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> They do have a choice, nothing is forcing them to run freenet.
> It doesn't matter that they can't see exactly what their node is doing,
> but only the fact that they know what their node is probably doing.
> If someone gives you a package in Mexico and ask you to carry it across
> the boarder.  You do so and customs finds it full of drugs.  It doesn't
> matter that you didn't see what was in there or even if it was locked
> and you couldn't see what was in there.  All that matters is that a
> reasonable person would know what's in there.

FUD - since Freenet has other legitimate uses. We don't prosecute ISPs
even though we _know_ with 100% certainty that some of the groups contain
childporn. We don't prosecute car manufacturers even though we _know_ with
100% certainty that some cars will be used to transport drugs over
national borders. We don't prosecute postal offices even though we know
with 100% certainty that some packages contain childporn and some contain
drugs.

No one running a Freenet node _knows_ with 100% certainty that he/she is
trafficking anything illegal.

On the other hand, I don't live in the Fascist states of America. (See
link for explanation)

http://troed.se/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1091214452

regards,
Troed