On 5 Aug 2004, at 01:48, Toad wrote:

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 01:44:37AM +0100, Ian Clarke wrote:

On 5 Aug 2004, at 01:39, Toad wrote:
The problem is that ignorance is indeed a goal in itself on Freenet.
It's part of its very basic design features.

Same is true of the postal system (otherwise they would mandate that everything is written on postcards).

Freenet is DESIGNED to actively thwart attempts to find the authors. This is a fundamental design goal. It is a motive. Whereas the postal system simply doesn't care one way or the other.

The postal system is specifically designed to prevent itself from reading what is being posted, this, for example, is why it is illegal to read someone else's mail in many countries.

 In fact, right now,
Freenet is so slow that only perverts and geeks use it. Or so it would
be argued.

Being a geek is illegal now?

In any case, I don't see any reason to think that Freenet is illegal
under current US or UK law. Whereas I see every reason to expect it to
be criminalized under INDUCE - which is designed to make it easy to
criminalize things like Freenet. However IANAL, and my opinions are
based on third party analysis of INDUCE by somebody who is probably
merely a law student or interested bystander.

I have seen enough lawyers being completely wrong enough times to trust my own judgment on the law before I blindly trust that of a lawyer. At the end of the day, law is just a very long and rather inconsistent instruction manual, it isn't beyond the comprehensive abilities of we mere mortals, must as many lawyers would like us to think that it is.

Ian.