On 4 Aug 2004, at 19:35, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
They do have a choice, nothing is forcing them to run freenet.

Shaky logic. Nothing is forcing postmen to work for the USPS, yet if it were to be found that a postman had unknowingly transported drugs it is unlikely that they could successfully be accused of willful ignorance because they chose to work for a service that does look inside all of the mail it transports.

IANAL (BIKAF), but I would expect that for ignorance to be willful it can't be a side-effect of a goal, it must be a goal in itself. There are plenty of reasons why someone might want to use Freenet other than obtaining illegal content.

It doesn't matter that they can't see exactly what their node is doing, but only the fact that they know what their node is probably doing.
If someone gives you a package in Mexico and ask you to carry it across the boarder. You do so and customs finds it full of drugs. It doesn't matter that you didn't see what was in there or even if it was locked and you couldn't see what was in there. All that matters is that a reasonable person would know what's in there.

Really? I suspect there are at least thousands of postal workers who deliver packages from Mexico to the US without opening them every day, are you suggesting that they could all be arrested?

Ian.