I can empathize.  Freenet is is one of the first projects that I've seen take
a working application and push it aside, while directing new users to an
alpha version.  The way it would normally be done is listing Freenet 0.5 as
the stable version instead of the "unsupported" version, and 0.7 as the alpha
version still under development.  New users would opt for the stable version.
Having new users directed to an alpha version while the stable version is
fully functioning is quite strange.