0) be sure you have Java version 1.5 or 1.6 (1.4 will/should work too)
    - type "java -version" in a console and watch the output

1) download these two files into a separate directory you've created forehand:
    - http://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/freenet-r10260-snapshot.jar
    - http://downloads.freenetproject.org/alpha/freenet-ext.jar

2) change to the directory they're in

3) rename "freenet-r10260-snapshot.jar" to "freenet.jar"

4) run "java -cp freenet.jar;freenet-ext.jar;%CLASSPATH%;. freenet.node.Node

5) report problems :)