On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 07:51:40AM -0800, Dana Linscott wrote:
> --- Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Sloppily made BD can not only ruin an engine but
> > spew much more crap
> > into the air than commercial petrodiesel." - Dana
> > Linscott.
> >
> > Please explain.
>
> I cannot believe that you are serious...but here goes
> again.
>
> What goes into unregulated BD? NO ONE KNOWS. That is
> the point. Without quality control which is out of the
> hands of the producer
> unscrupulous/unknowlegable/unskilled producers can put
> "ANYTHING" in a tank and call it "biodiesel".

  This is just a straw man arguement. If I set up a business making roller
skates, who regulates my
production? The market, of course, not to mention all the lawyers who make
their living off of
product liabilty lawsuits. If I make crummy skates, the company gets a bad rep
and probably will go
out of business. That's the way it works. There could be a trade group which
sets some sort of
standards for skates, and, if I joined them, would allow me to put the
"approved" seal -- like
U.L. for electrical products. If you've ever noticed, there are simply tons of
electrical products
on the market that aren't UL approved. Are they dangerous? Maybe. Maybe not. I
buy lots of them, as
a matter of fact. That's my business if I want to do that, the gov't can't make
them get certified,
but the market will if they don't make a good product.
  There are also laws about false advertising. If someone were to actually
produce a product that
caused pollution, that is the time for the EPA to step in. Given all the other
pollution being
spewed daily around the country that they do nothing about, what are they doing
here, when there is
utterly no proof of any pollution or possibility thereof? It's pretty obvious
what's going on here,
and it's criminal.
  Awhile back I was working in Mobile, AL at the university -- I was utterly
shocked to find the the
EPA listed Mobile County as the #2 place in the country for toxic emmisions and
#5 for carcinogenic
emissions (or visa versa) but that's really all they did. Listed it, and the
chemical factories went
right on dumping and spewing. And they shut down YBD???? Give me a break!
  Get real, Dana.

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix