>Steve
>
>I've seen China and the Soviet Union do this many, many times.  It is
>their way of getting something from us.  This is just politics.  Nothing
>to it at all, in 6 months or so they will cough up what they want, if we
>say yes then it's business as usual, if we say no then the ban will be
>enlarged to include something else.  Lots of big word and tough talk but
>that's all it is.  Most likely just driving the price down so they can
>load up on cheap beans in 6 months or so, maybe a year
>
>George

The GM issue is an entirely new element in that old game, and takes
the game to a new level which is not so easily predictable. Politics,
yes, but not "just" politics, and not only politics. For one thing,
China could emerge as a major player in the GM stakes, and seems to
cherish such plans, which could make China and the US competitors,
not just seller-buyer at their usual haggling. There's probably also
some at least genuine concern about GM imports (and labelling), and
not only in China. Other countries have succumbed to US strong-arm
tactics on this issue, but that doesn't work well with China. Nor
with the EU, where it's also being attempted, and less and less with
Japan - all China's allies in this, in a way, along with others. It's
a complex issue.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Osaka, Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > of course. biodiesel comes from plants, hydrogen from fossil fuels. you
> > don't think the oil interests would let him get away with that?
>hmmm. wonder
> > what they will do with all those GM Soybeans they can't unload on china.
> > Biodiesel anyone?
> >

> > Steve Spence
> > Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter:
> > http://www.webconx.com/subscribe.htm
> >
> > Renewable Energy Pages - http://www.webconx.dns2go.com/
> > Human powered devices, equipment, and transport -
> > http://24.190.106.81:8383/2000/humanpower.htm
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search