Hakan,

Just as the US goes over the top on most everything, the fish industry is
just another excess.  I have heard of some genetic degradation in the
farmed Salmon population due to not enough wild introduction.  This has
caused sick undersized fish which then need antibotics, extra helpings of
protien, and such.  This just leads to more of the same thing we see in
the cattle industries.  Short cuts and greed causing major environmental
and biological issues.  There has also been some noted changes in the
enviromental impact of fish farms especially in the latin countries where
there are even less controls than here. Water levels contain more waste
than should be which impact other aquatic species.  I applaud the Swiss in
their management of such industries, as they do across the board, but in
the US it is a different beast altogether.

On the note of flesh colour, I believe that open ocean (especially cold
ocean water) causes the flesh to be red, as steelhead also have that color
(and flavour).  Something about an oxygen rich environ comes to mind.

James Slayden