From: Hakan Falk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 7:00 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: industrial livestock husbandry was: Re: [biofuels-biz] Re:
[biofuel] toxins in this season U.S. corn

Sorry James,

The Swiss does not have salmon any longer, cannot survive on the rivers
through Germany, Italy and France. They do have sweet water Trout. Sweden
have now a lot of Salmon and also farmed Salmon. I do not know if Steelhead
is a common salmon or a relative in the same way as I described or it could
even be the name I did not know.

Farming does effect the fish quality, mainly because of the lack of muscle
building. Do effect the taste in the same way as farmed pigs and wild. The
sick fish you refer to, could have been the pest that was going through the
industry around 10-15 years ago. They had to slaughter  all farmed fish in
Scandinavia and I believe US also, it took a while before they could start
again and especially to get the larger size Salmons.

They slaughtered the fish in fish farms to protect the wild population from
getting the bug. I have never heard about antibiotics used in fish farming.
In cattle farming I know of the extremely irresponsible use of antibiotics
and I think that it is some countries that even give them hormones, a
practice not allowed in Europe. At least in Europe they are trying to
maintain the difference between human sexes and not try to indirectly feed
the population with female hormones. I know that US is all for equality,
but to achieve this by hormones might be too excessive. Maybe women lib.
organizations are behind it?

Hakan