One of the problems (I think) associated with
 liquid and electric vehicles is when comparing
 energy derived at a given weight,

 Lead acid battery___1x
 Ethanol____________50x
 E85________________80x
 Gasoline_____________100x

 I'm unsure of the source of these figures and
 question how it was derived but I'd assume
 it may have converted the energy to Btu/lb
 or J/kg for comparative purposes only BUT
 technical studies indicate that ethanol and E85
 Internal Combustion Engines can be dedicated
 to provide equal (or slightly better) fuel economy
 per given volume (e.g. one litre) as unleaded
 gasoline.

 Another comparison would be cost per given
 unit of energy such as a comparable price
 for electricity to petrol,  for example --

 One US gallon of Low-Heating-Value petrol (gasoline) = 115,000 BTUs
 divide by 3412 BTUs/kW = 33.7 kW
 times $0.07/kW = $2.359 US dollars for the equivalent residential electrical
 amount of energy per US gallon of unleaded gasoline.  Costs per kW may very.

 Using the BTU figure from --
 Energy Conversion Facts
 http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/energy_conv.html

 Energy Conversion Calculator
 http://www.ex.ac.uk/cimt/dictunit/ccenrgy.htm

 I imagine comparative factors could be used
 using (Compressed) Natural Gas, LPG, hydrogen,
 coal, biofuels, wind, hydroelectric, PV, etc.

        `