On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:29:52 -0600, you wrote:

>> Acutally, if your calculations are correct, electricity doesn't look half
>> bad.  :)  Even better if TOU net metering with some solar was taken in to
>> account.  We also have to take the energy conversion of the vehicle system
>> which EV's come out way ahead of ICE vehicles, no matter what fuel is
>> used.
>>
>> James Slayden
>

> Terrific!  The figures used for the petrol to electric grid
> comparison are based on a 'well to pump' or 'mine to electrical outlet'
> cost factor.  It would be helpful to see further results when using
> 'energy conversion' efficiencies factored in from the 'pump to wheel'
> or 'electrical plug outlet to wheel' (energy per unit/cost) calculations.
> Look forward to further explanations and maybe address the weight factor
> concerning gasoline and the lead acid battery power ratio.  It would go
> a long ways in clarifying doubts expressed about EVs.  Thank you.

I think these calculations, of well to pump and
mine-or-solar-panel-or-geothermal-station-or-many-other-things-to-electrical-outlet
are only worthwhile doing if one respects the difficulties and
complexities that are inherent in the questions involved.

I have been thinking for a long time that there must be some basic
academically-known principle that an Economics professor could
discuss, if we had one present, as to the issue of switching to a new
sourcing of energy whose derivation and efficiencies are *not* set in
stone.

As a matter of principle, once that investment is made in the new
technology to derive motion from a new fuel source, then there are all
manner of directions one could take as to energy efficiencies.  But
until the step is taken, we meet with all manner of
conversation-ending (*deliberately* conversation-ending in most cases)
objections to the switch based on flippant or casual or even
insidiously deliberately falacious claims as to the inefficiencies of
the proposed new technology.

I spoke with a person who served on a group that did some research
into Oil-well-to-wheel comparisons as against mine-to-wheel EV methods
of gaining motion.  One comment he made was that since some
auto-industry folks were present who were anti-EV, they manipulated
the group's chosen method for assigning a number to EV energy
efficiency in part by choosing an out-dated irrelevant and (I guess)
not-as-efficient battery technology (Sodium Sulfur?).  So, this is
just a minor example of the sort of pettiness that goes on from
anti-EV folks when they are trying to "prove" that EVs really aren't a
great deal energy-wise.  Even with this inclusion of an outdated
battery technology, the EV came out ahead in the group's calculations.