>I read the information on dewatering the WVO, but when I was heating
>the oil I noticed that when it was taken off the heat and poured off,
>that there was water settled on the bottom. Can this be a way to
>dewater more quickly? Just heat the oil to 100 deg. C and then pour
>the oil off the top? Will water remain suspended in the oil?
>
>Brent

Removing the water
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html#water

Here's another way, from Aleks Kac -- it uses less energy and doesn't
risk forming more Free Fatty Acids by overheating. Heat the oil to 60
deg C (140 deg F), maintain the temperature for 15 minutes and then
pour the oil into a settling tank. Let it settle for at least 24
hours. Make sure you never empty the settling vessel more than 90%.
- From "Biodiesel from waste oil"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#biodwvo

If you heat oil with water in it, stir it or use indirect heat: with
direct heat the oil nearest the flame will start popping almost
immediately. That can be dangerous: water falling out and collecting
at the bottom can get superheated and explode, splattering hot oil
everywhere. It usually starts bubbling at around 50-55 deg C, at that
temperature the water starts to come out of solution. So keeping it
at 60 deg C or a bit higher for a while should precipitate all the
water, which settles to the bottom, as you say. No need to heat to
100 deg C, wastes energy, unless you then boil off all the water and
start the biodiesel process "on the way down" when it's cooled to
processing temp, 55 deg C or whatever, which saves re-heating the oil
for processing. Hard to say which is better - if you're using the
acid-base process with a much lower-temp first stage, heating to 100
would be a waste of energy. On the other hand some people find
heating to 60 and settling doesn't work for them, for some reason.
Try both and see what's best for you.

What's really best is to try to find a source of high-quality WVO
that doesn't contain any water: low-titration oil is usually
water-free, and it also means less catalyst, higher yield, and
probably quicker washing with less water. We now have two good
sources of good oil, constant supply, as much as we want, always
about the same, titration less than 1ml, no water. Nice. The stuff we
were working with in Hong Kong and Tokyo titrated at 7ml at least,
and as high as 10.6ml, yuk, and LOTS of water. But we learnt a lot
getting it so we got good production out of that muck. Learnt a lot
about which types of restaurants not to eat at too.

Best

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM