>Hey Kieth-
>
>Which restaurants did you learn not to eat at, and why?
>
>Best Regards,
>
>John D, in Ohio

Hello John

As a general rule we've found the cheaper the restaurant the worse
the WVO - more abused, cooked longer and probably hotter before being
renewed, higher FFA levels. Others say the same in other countries.
I'm sure there are exceptions but I've yet to find one. One real
cheap eatery in Chiba used quite a lot of oil but didn't have any WVO
for us - they used it all up! Ulp... I definitely wouldn't eat
anything that'd been cooked in some of the WVO we've had, lethal I
reckon. As the prices rise so does the WVO quality. The very good
stuff that's hardly been used at all comes from the classy joints,
but it can be hard to get hold of - the waste recyclers seem to like
it for the same reasons we do.

We don't do restaurants now, one step back in the chain, much better.
Also one step forward: quite a lot of the organic farmers here are
using our biodiesel in their tractors. Most of them sell most of
their produce direct to consumers via "teikeis" ("face-to-face"), the
Japanese version of CSAs (Community Supported Agriculture), and
apparently the original inspiration for CSAs. Midori, my partner at
Journey to Forever, made flyers for them to put in the delivery boxes
with all the veggies, with a photo of the happy organic farmer
driving his biod-fuelled tractor and explaining a bit about it. And,
as hoped, the consumers are now starting to send the WVO from their
home kitchens back to the farmers in the empty boxes. So the farmers
are now moving towards making their own fuel from their customers'
used cooking oil, quite nice. The oil itself is as good as the best
stuff we get, hardly used at all, not overheated, very low titration,
no water content. Maybe that's because these are organic produce
consumers and perhaps more aware of food and health issues, but maybe
not. We've also been offered oil by a women's group that's into waste
recycling and collects WVO at household level. They make soap out of
it but they have too much and don't have a good market for the soap.
These aren't organic consumers, so we'll see. Probably it's also
high-quality WVO. So much for cheap restaurants. Pity.

regards

Keith

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> >I read the information on dewatering the WVO, but when I was heating
> >the oil I noticed that when it was taken off the heat and poured off,
> >that there was water settled on the bottom. Can this be a way to
> >dewater more quickly? Just heat the oil to 100 deg. C and then pour
> >the oil off the top? Will water remain suspended in the oil?
> >
> >Brent
>
>Removing the water
>http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_mike.html#water
>
>Here's another way, from Aleks Kac -- it uses less energy and doesn't
>risk forming more Free Fatty Acids by overheating. Heat the oil to 60
>deg C (140 deg F), maintain the temperature for 15 minutes and then
>pour the oil into a settling tank. Let it settle for at least 24
>hours. Make sure you never empty the settling vessel more than 90%.
>- From "Biodiesel from waste oil"
>http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#biodwvo
>
>If you heat oil with water in it, stir it or use indirect heat: with
>direct heat the oil nearest the flame will start popping almost
>immediately. That can be dangerous: water falling out and collecting
>at the bottom can get superheated and explode, splattering hot oil
>everywhere. It usually starts bubbling at around 50-55 deg C, at that
>temperature the water starts to come out of solution. So keeping it
>at 60 deg C or a bit higher for a while should precipitate all the
>water, which settles to the bottom, as you say. No need to heat to
>100 deg C, wastes energy, unless you then boil off all the water and
>start the biodiesel process "on the way down" when it's cooled to
>processing temp, 55 deg C or whatever, which saves re-heating the oil
>for processing. Hard to say which is better - if you're using the
>acid-base process with a much lower-temp first stage, heating to 100
>would be a waste of energy. On the other hand some people find
>heating to 60 and settling doesn't work for them, for some reason.
>Try both and see what's best for you.
>
>What's really best is to try to find a source of high-quality WVO
>that doesn't contain any water: low-titration oil is usually
>water-free, and it also means less catalyst, higher yield, and
>probably quicker washing with less water. We now have two good
>sources of good oil, constant supply, as much as we want, always
>about the same, titration less than 1ml, no water. Nice. The stuff we
>were working with in Hong Kong and Tokyo titrated at 7ml at least,
>and as high as 10.6ml, yuk, and LOTS of water. But we learnt a lot
>getting it so we got good production out of that muck. Learnt a lot
>about which types of restaurants not to eat at too.
>
>Best
>
>Keith

Buy Breakthrough Natural Health Specialties at VitaminBoost.com $20 to $40
Oral Sprays for Fast Results and Greater Absorption.
http://www.challengerone.com/t/l.asp?cid=2880
http://us.click.yahoo.com/3oMABA/muYGAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM