--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "balaji" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Colonisation was not however an unmitigated disaster for
> India and had many positives.

"We are bringing them to Christianity" said Slater on the slave ship.

An upright and honest judicial system that
> continued to dispense humane justice in spite of the many black
laws enacted
> by the administration.

The British judicial system was only intent upon ensuring the smooth
exploitation of India - contracts law - that is what it was all
about.  Entire generations of Brahman were transformed from being
spiritual non-materialistic beacons into judges who would ensure
transactions that bled India of its resources.

The many voices of conscience from Britain that spoke
> up for the natives.

Churchill's voice rose above them all: "naked little fakhir".  Voices
were raised around the world.  Yet the British kept electing racist
imperialistic governments

The excellent education system which was mostly secular
> with little attempt at religious proselytisation.

To transform Indians into good little servants - engineers, technical
workers, etc. to better exploit the nation.  Indians left alone would
nevertheless have an excellent school system.  They have no one to
thank.

Proselytisation would have spelled an unmanageable jihad against the
occupiers.  It was a practical choice, nothing more.

The basic railroad that
> has mushroomed
> into the largest in the world.

The railroad was built to move resources and workers.  It was a
system designed to rob Indians of their resources as efficiently as
possible.  What Indians did with it after the Brits were booted out
is a testament to Indians, not to the British.

> I think it had partly to do with the British sense of justice and
fairplay
> (it wasn't cricket) and the rule of law most of them abided by back
in
> Britain.

What a crock.  Where is the fair play in keeping an entire nation
subjugated by force of arms?.  The fairplay myth is just that, a
myth.  It may have existed on a coventry cricket field, but it did
not exist in any colony of any empire.

That's possibly why slave trading initiated by the British in the
> Americas,
> was abolished in 1807, long before it happened in the USA.

more likely from the extreme guilt associated with being the world's
number one and most ruthless slave traders.

> Regards.
>
> balaji

good reading on the matter:

Freedom struggle
/8173044422/qid=1084999512/sr=8-15/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i15_xgl14/103-
3251336-7764659?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Pierre