Hello Craig,

----- Original Message -----
From: "craig reece" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 6:38 AM
Subject: [biofuel] RE: [biofuels] Re: US poll about Iraq war

Hakan,

You wrote:

>What's interesting in Ryan's post is the assumption that colonizing
>what is now the United States is seen as being the only way anyone
<(other than the former inhabitants, that is) could've possibly
>"directly benefitted." That is, there is apparently no way to share the
>resources of a place with the "former owners" in a way that benefits
>both them and the colonizing power. While I'd agree that we have no
>good model or historical precedent for such a thing, that shouldn't
>mean we can't recognize the horror that was the colonial experience for
>those who were colonized.

It is interesting to compare the circumstance and the consequence of
colonisation of the Indias and the Americas.
We have greater India (comprising present day Bangladesh, India and
Pakistan) which was a largely British Colony for nearly two centuries, the
same duration it took the Red Indian tribes to be subjugated, decimated and
destroyed.

We also had our unfair share of colonists - Portuguese in Goa, Daman & Diu
(almost as brutal as the Spanish) the French (more intolerant but less
brutal) in Pondicherry, Yanam & Mahe and the least disruptive Dutch (or was
it the Danish) in Tranquebar. The British were most exploitatitve of the
natives in economic terms. We also had many false treaties written with the
eye on the main chance just as Indian Chiefs were cheated by men who entered
into troth with no intention of keeping it the next morn. The rulers of the
many princely states that fractured our country were likewise played one
against the other as it happened with our Red cousins in distress.

The cultural differences were siginifcant. What the British saw in India was
a higly stratified society with large populations in towns that were
centuries old.  They were struck by the  grand iniquitous opulence and
decadent lifetyle of rajahs and the Mughals. They could understand the
urbane sophistication and Byzantine intrigues of the ministers in court. In
fact the courtiers of
the British crown must have felt completely at ease in such surroundings.
Besides, for most of them, India was a temporary though prolonged posting
from which they could always return home. Many of the early British school
of Indology got lost in its other wordly philosophy.

The Red Indian tribes at least in North America were hunter gatherers and
largely nomadic. Their close to nature lifestyle was a ready lure for the
settlers, who found little competition in such a vast land. They also had no
home to return to, having burnt their bridges.

USA in 1700- 1850 was the Wild West, raw frontier country being newly
settled,
where might was right and nobody present to check the wrong doing except
kangaroo courts by roving circuit judges and lynch mobs. I think it is the
lack of a judicial infrastructure that did the native tribes in. That and
the initial struggle to survive and the growing greed of men.

The British of course exploited the natives to the hilt and even destroyed
the indigenous indigo and muslin industry among others as they posed market
threats to Britain. Colonisation was not however an unmitigated disaster for
India and had many positives. An upright and honest judicial system that
continued to dispense humane justice in spite of the many black laws enacted
by the administration. The many voices of conscience from Britain that spoke
up for the natives. The excellent education system which was mostly secular
with little attempt at religious proselytisation. The basic railroad that
has mushroomed
into the largest in the world.

I think it had partly to do with the British sense of justice and fairplay
(it wasn't cricket) and the rule of law most of them abided by back in
Britain. That's possibly why slave trading initiated by the British in the
Americas,
was abolished in 1807, long before it happened in the USA.

Regards.

balaji