no problem in principle.   Any  starch/sugar/cellulosic material can be
thermally degraded to  to a mixture of gases  and light liquids.(often
referred to as destructive distillation)  Catalytic reforming should
yield methanol.  The only problem, an engineering feat rather than a
chemical problem would be optimizing yield.  On an industrial scale, you
only get about a 50 % energy return going from green timber to
methanol.  A bacterial fermentation may also be possible to produce
methanol or other alcohols from glycerol.

Keith Addison wrote:

>Hasn't anyone got an answer or some info for Greg? This is an
>interesting possibility, if it is one.
>
>Best wishes
>
>Keith
>

>>Can anyone spot flaws in my theory?
>>
>>Greg H.

     Bob Allen, Professor of Chemistry
     http://ozarker.org/bob

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression;
this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference
and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any
media and regardless of frontiers.

Article 19 of The Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the
United Nations General Assembly,10 December 1948: