Keith,

You mentioned using mild air pressure to pump from a carboy into the top of the
processor. What are you using to create the mild air pressure?
I agree that if there is a possibility of evolving too much gas from the
reaction,
that the main processor is the place to start the mixing of an addition, but it
can still be done with the inline method. The simple and safer advantages would
involve just hooking up hoses and turning valves. You wouldn't be opening the
container again until it was empty. Unless the inline tubing needed repaired
you wouldn't be unhooking it between
processes. Changing caps and fittings on containers as you put it involves
opening the container and exposing yourself to hazardous chemicals. I'm not
saying your method is unsafe or wrong. I just stated the advantages of an
inline system. I think Angus had a good idea.

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
linden duncan wrote:

>>The advantage I see to using the inline or Appleseed method would
>>be that once you
>>prepare your addition, you would not have to touch it again. Just
>>as simple and safer.

I'm not quite sure what you mean - "addition" means the methoxide or
acid or whatever you're adding? If so, I can't agree with you. We
don't "touch it again", we never touch it at all. Did you look at our
processor page? I don't think so, somehow.

>http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor10.html
>Journey to Forever 90-litre processor

You have to change caps maybe, that's all, and you'll have to do that
too with the inline method. You think that's safer and simpler?
Actually, I don't think so. I don't want to argue about this, I said
I'm sure either way will do, I'm not knocking the inline method at
all, but I'm not going to be put in the wrong either, for the wrong
reasons.

These are some things Girl Mark has said about it in the past:

"Use a valve on your methoxide delivery tubing so that you can time
the methoxide delivery into the plumbing before the pump intake such
that it matches the  turnover rate of your tank so it mixes gradually
and evenly."

Our way is simpler than that, no timing required.

And this:

>Here's one other dangerous variable that most people are unaware of:
>
>water in oil when making biodiesel
>
>What's that , you say? water as a fire hazard?
>
>Here's how it happens:
>
>If you pump-mix methoxide with wet oil, there is a slight danger of
>localised boiling  of methanol (!!!!!) IF the ratios of methoxide to
>wet oil is high. This inproper ratio only  happens if your methoxide
>inlet to the pump is large compared to the oil inlet, or if  any
>valves in the two lines (oil and methoxide) are open to the wrong
>ratio (ie oil  mostly closed down and methoxide wide open). For
>example, a 3/4 piece of tubing  for methoxide delivery going into a
>pump along with a 3/4 inch oil inlet tube is  what  I consider a
>high ratio. (I now use 3/8 inch methoxide tubing and 3/4" oil, with
>a  valve on the methoxide tube, which is only opened slightly)
>
>What happens is this: the lye in the methoxide can produce heat when
>it hits water  (from the oil). Normally if your ratios are correct,
>we're not using enough lye (and  there should'nt be enough water) to
>cause this to raise the temperature in a whole  tank of (even very
>wet) oil. But in a pump-mix situation with incorrect tubing ratios,
>there is momentarily a situation in the pump plumbing where the
>oil/water quantity is  low and the methanol/lye quantity is high-
>which could get hot enough to surpass  the boiling point of methanol
>(148F/60C). If your tank isn't a closed system (and  plastic conical
>tanks and their 'manhole' covers are not a closed system!) then the
>methanol vapors will boil out of your tank, and the tank will
>pressurise (yet another  reason for avoiding plastic as a mixing
>tank) which means that any normally  invisible leaks will spray
>methanol-containing hot oil/biodiesel out of the tank.
>
> You may also notice a bunch of soap being made- there'll be odd
>gelling if the oil/ biodiesel/methanol makes it's way out of the
>tank!
>
>I don't think people are very aware of this problem. Pump mixing is
>absolutely,  hands-down superior to stirred tank mixing- and it's
>far easier to build a sealed  system with a pump rather than a
>stirred tank- but you have to have the methoxide  delivery be slow,
>both for the safety reasons above and to keep the production of
>soap down. I think peopel sometimes rush to mix in their methoxide
>(because after  that step there's no more operator involvement
>needed) but there are a few good  reasons to slow down methoxide
>delivery- 1. preventing the overpressure situaiton  above 2. not
>making a bunch of soap (which happens in the above situaion because
>there's too much lye for the amount of oil in the pipe) and 3.
>making sure you get a  very, very good initial mix of reactants,
>which is easier to control in the pump ratios  rather than hoping
>that it'll all mix through circulation later on. not using wet oil
>is of  course also important.

Simple and safe if you know what you're doing, eh? Did you know that?
No such problems when you add it in the top - but do have a look at
how it's done first this time before you argue about it, if you're
going to argue about it.

Anyway, just dewater the oil, you might think, no problem. Yes, in an
ideal world, but that might not be so simple either. With some oils
getting ALL the water out might not be too easy, or might not even be
possible. But the methoxide will find it there alright, and if you
haven't got your plumbng rigged right you could have problems.

Best wishes

Keith

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT