m gildow wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. The other info that I got
was probably refering to SVO, but wasn't clear. The
info put out was refering to the different pressure in
the newer PD fuel injection pump, but even that
information wasn't particularly clear. Differences in
what the actual pressure is and if it has even changed
in the last few years.

Hi Mel.

The page Keith refered you to probably needs to be updated. As Keith said, in an 2003 TDI or earlier, biodiesel is absolutely fine.

It does not need to be updated. Did you look at it? It's about TDIs and SVO, not TDIs and biodiesel. I said:

Biodiesel's no problem, SVO/WVO is something of a controversy. See:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_TDI.html
The TDI-SVO controversy

It will apply even more so to the PD injection pump and SVO/WVO.

Best

Keith

However, with regard to the new Pumpe Duse (PD) injection found in the 2004 TDIs, the jury is still out on whether BD is a good idea. It may be fine, but at this point, it simply does not have the track record of the earlier engines. You will find a lot of heated debate on this topic from both sides over at tdiclub.com.

You will find lots of definative declarations for both sides, when the truth is somewhere in between. For example, this website http://www.channel4.com/4car/buying-guide/faq/biofuels/biofuels-7.html claims that all Audis and VWs, including the PD engines, are B100 compatible. Yet, on the next page, they refer to biodiesel having the "proper octane". If they can't tell octane from cetane, I'm not sure I'd trust their other statements.

In any case, VWoA does not warranty any fuel issues, biodiesel or petrodiesel. If you got a bad tank of petrodiesel that ruined your injector pump, VW wouldn't cover that either. In my case, my dealership says BD is fine in my 03 Jetta but my father in law was explicitly warned not to put BD into his new 04 Passat.

So at the end of the day, the choice is yours. If you choose to run BD in a PD TDI, more power to you. Just be aware that if you have an injector failure down the road, your dealership *may* blame the BD and refuse to cover it.

Cheers.

jh