From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] 2004 VW Jetta TDI

----- Original Message -----
From: "m gildow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 7:43 PM
Subject: [Biofuel] 2004 VW Jetta TDI

> After having a VW Pickup and becoming interested in
> Biodiesel as a fuel I have bought a new 2004 VW Jetta
> TDI. I have read several postings from various chat
> pages that the new TDIs shouldn't run Biodiesel. Does
> anyone have any experience with the new TDIs?
What does the instruction booklet say? If the factory forbids the use of
bio, stick with it.

 I would
> like to start using Biodiesel in it either as an
> addative or straight, but don't want to cause any
> problems.
Well, Mel, ( I just had to do that) from what is my understanding ALL new
model european cars are BD friendly since the 80's. I could be a little
off
on the actual dates but it is a sure thing for recent models, from the
info
posted here in the past.
L.

Not true. Opel in his new DI engines forbidds use of bio in any form. New
VW models do not tolerate biodiesel also (any form, not even B5) in some
engines.
We have had a LC Toyota (100 series) with a totally broken IP after only
6.000
km on neat bio (costly repair, 12.000 US).
We've been in the EU for a very short time (meaning biofuels are legal now
in Slovenija) and have had serious damage on  engines. I could go on and
on:
BMW - no good OBD shuts the engine down, Peugeot - will stop engine,
beacuse antiPM
chemical injected in the exhaust is not compatible with neat bio,
Mercedes - OBD gets all fuzzy, can't recognize the neat bio as a fuel ...
recently learned thet people in Germany, though having neat bio at quite a
lot
of fuel stations, actually don't drive on it and strongly recommend
against.
Except for farmers and bus fleets owned by cities, very few people drive
on
bio. VW alone reported about 20M? spent in repairs on warranted VW cars
in 2003
for biodiesel usage related damages.

Sooo: not all cars come biodiesel ready. Some need to be ordered biodiesel
compliant (BMW, Merc, ...) some don't even have this option. Specially
suited are older TDIs,
most prechamber engines (modification), most new heavy machinery diesels
(some need the obvious hoses and gasket change, CAT for example) and most
newer
gensets. I'm not having good experiences with my car, and I have certified
DIN compliant fuel. And, it's not only the gaskets on the pump shaft, if
you're
wondering. The whole rotor assembly needed to be renewed, it wasn't  very
expensive,
but this means the fuel is not safe for my car in its neat form.

Cheers
Aleks