cblumenthal wrote:
I've used b10, b20, b30, b50,b80  all approximate percentages and with zero
problems in my 96 passat tdi.  If you go to www.tdiclub.com you will find
many many tdi owners (older and new vehicles) using b100 for years with no
problems.

No one is disputing that pre-2004 TDIs run BD just fine.

The question Mel asked, as I understood it, was whether the higher injector pressure found in the new unit injector (Pumpe Duse) engines is incompatible with biodiesel usage.

The Bosch designed unit injectors found in the PD engines get up into the neighborhood of 20,000 psi. Questions have been raised on whether BD use is appropriate at such pressures. My understanding is that these pressures are much much higher than either the old distributor pump or common rail designs used in other models.

My original point remains unchanged; do not assume that experience with pre2004 TDIs and BD use can be extrapolated to new PD engines. This is not to say that they won't be fine, but the history just isn't there...yet.

jh

I see you still haven't looked at the page I referred to, which you said needed updating (which it doesn't), so I referred you to it again:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_TDI.html
The TDI-SVO controversy

Please note, if nothing else, that it's about SVO. Anyway, this is one thing you'd have found there:

"... Siemens, Delphi and Bosch all are ramping production of sophisticated new injectors that can handle today's sky-high fuel pressure, and inject infinitesimal fuel droplets so quickly that upcoming diesels may at times employ as many as five distinct injections for each cylinder's combustion 'event.'

"... the most promising advantage of common-rail technology is the ability to deliver extremely high fuel pressures on the order of 23,000 psi (1,600 bar) or more. This type of pressure means that in microseconds, astonishingly tiny fuel droplets can be injected; these droplets more effectively mix with the induction air, boosting power production and reducing emissions.

"Only Volkswagen AG, Europe's diesel volume-sales leader, has resisted the common-rail development path, instead relying on its unique 'unit injector' system that combines each injector with an integral fuel pump, energized by its own lobe on the camshaft. This system develops pressures of up to 29,300 psi (2,020 bar)..."
-- From "Super Diesels!", Ward's Auto World, September 1, 2001
http://industryclick.com/magazinearticle.asp?magazineid=50&releaseid= 8418&magazinearticleid=118355&siteid=26

23,000 psi, 29,300 psi... Note the date - 2001.

Keith Addison