Hello Kirk,

>Next time you buy a sectional (map for you nonpilots) I suggest you give it a
>closer glance. The last one I bought was
>Montana and there is a lot of airspace with a 10,000 minimum altitude.

And what class airspace is that? There are areas out west where class G goes
from the surface up to 14,499' MSL. Although it is more
typical for Class G uncontrolled airspace to go from the surface to the floor
of the overlying airspace which is in most cases Class
E (Controlled) at either 700' AGL or 1,200' AGL. And the Class E airspace going
up to either the floor of an overlying airspace or
17,999' MSL. And since you are a pilot you know that although class E is
technically a controlled airspace, it hardly seems as it
where as provided the weather meets VFR minimums you can fly around in Class E
airspace without ever communicating with anyone as
long as you stay outside of the Mode C ring of Class B airspace. Hardly what
could be considered controlled in comparison To class
A,B,C or even D airspace.

>Guess they don't want people disturbing the animals. :)

Flights over national parks, wildlife preserves etc are marked on the sectional
and specify either on the chart or in the legend the
altitude AGL for flying over these areas. Normally 200' AGL.

>Then there is military space. Some of those can get you an escort. So the West
>isn't all that open.

MOA's (or military operational areas) can be entered at will and at your own
risk I might add. CFA's (Controlled Firing Areas) are
another military area that can be entered at will and at your own risk. And
then there are Alert Areas such as the one surrounding
the U.S. Air Force academy Colorado Springs. These areas identify intensive
aircraft activities such as student pilot training but I
can still enter them at will and at risk. Non of these areas will get me a
hostile escort or into any legal trouble if I were to so
choose to fly through them. (I choose not to unless I have an emergency
situation).

Restricted Airspace such as that over nuclear power plants, prohibited areas
such as the white house, and TFR's (Temporary Flight
Restrictions) for when the President comes to town will most definitely get you
a hostile military escort and loads of legal
problems.

>As for unlicenced radio I suggest you talk to your local FCC agent before you
>get part of your anatomy in the wringer.
>Anything over 100mW HAS to have a licenced operator to be legal. I don't know
>the full terms of CB or FRS but I bet a permit >is
involved there too.

I assumed (how foolish of me) that since you used several references to flying
and in the same sentence as your comment about
requiring a license to operate a radio, that you were referring to aircraft
communications. Of which I do not need a license to
operate within the boarders of the U.S. As far as ground based radio
communications go...I'll simply concede a I know that there are
some licenses required but this was not very clear from your original post.

>Barnstorming was buzzing barns and pulling up to clear phone lines. 1500 feet
>above a barn is hardly a buzz.

Clarified. Although...you can fly right over the surface of a lake provided its
not a national park.

Safe flying Kirk, and Best wishes,
Tim

BTW I am a licensed pilot as well.

Kirk

Tim Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Kirk,

>Airspace is controlled.

As a pilot I can tell you that although most of the US east of the Mississippi
River is Class E and above (controlled) airspace it
is a reverse proportion west of the Mississippi River. Where most of the
airspace is Class G or uncontrolled.

>The barnstorming open air biplane days are gone

Not so again Kirk. I can perform aerobatic maneuvers between 1500' AGL in class
G (uncontrolled) and class E (controlled airspace up
to 14,499' MSL.

>just like radio emissions without a license.

Not so again Kirk. I can fly anywhere in the US without a radio license. I
don't even have to have a radio in the plan to fly in
Class G and Class E airspace.

> There are places where the winds blow almost always, such as the continental
> divide in central Wyoming. They are even
>windier at altitude. The gyro field could be marked with strobes and a beacon.
>Also the gyros would probably not be at
>jetliner altitude and even if they were they could be no-fly zones just like a
>lot of areas already are.

>Kirk

With the advent of the new pilot classification "Sport Pilot" where you not
even required to pass a medical exam it is anticipated
that the skies above will be much more active with these new pilots. Creating
more restricted airspace will face a great battle from
the aviation lobbyist who do posses a great deal of influence with the US
Government. However, in the areas that maintain constant
high winds are of little to no interest to most pilots and would present some
opportunities for such restricted airspace without
much protest from the lobbyist.

Best Wishes,

Tim