ok, so is pimentel now using current data or not?  if the answer is no, then
the question becomes "is this chick legit?"

She's just fooled by the "current data" bit, like everyone else is. It is not current data, see the message I posted yesterday:

http://sustainablelists.org/pipermail/biofuel_sustainablelists.org/200 5-July/001738.html
[Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficiencies
http://snipurl.com/ghth

the blurb about corn syrup is
pretty over the top.

Not really, the stuff is a disaster. HFCS certainly has much to do with the rising plague of obesity, and worse. "... introduced into the food system in the early 1980s", not quite accurate, as others are saying about corn as food, and it was really the trading system that it was introduced to, worldwide. This was just after sugar farmers among others in many 3rd World countries had been pushed by the World Bank et al into capital-intensive methods on the assurance of US market prices for sugar of around 25c, which dropped to 6c when HFCS got a foothold. Exit several 3rd World rural econonies, with resultant famines in some cases.

You should perhaps have a look at what Surgeon-Captain Cleave has to say about refined carbohydrates, and this was before the rise of HFCS:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#cleave

Best wishes

Keith

-chris