mark manchester wrote:

> Hi Robert, Darryl, Keith,
> We've just finished pressing pink insulation into the headers in the
> basement., sealed the basement door, which leaked water in a storm anyway,
> and plastic'd the basement windows.  Clearly these were the areas we had not
> addressed before.  Let there be no more $500/month heating bills, please.

        Yikes!  We just received a notice from Terasen (the company that
sells us natural gas) that our rates will go up by 15% this month.  I
think we'll be longing for wood heat pretty soon.

> Window quilts, why not?  Only at night, though, right?  Otherwise, always
> wear a miner's helmet with the light on the forehead.

        I'm pretty sure you'd only put them up at night.  I've been trying to
get my sweetheart to make window quilts, but she's not been terribly
enthusiastic yet.  I guess energy is STILL too cheap!

> I'm very envious of your garden, Robert, I love reading about it.  Out I go
> right now with my wagon full of compost to begin digging my little patch in
> the sun.

        I'm glad you find it encouraging.  I still have a lot of work to do,
getting my garden up to maximum productivity, but given that it was
nearly sterile a couple of years ago (and would support little more
than horsetail), it's exciting to see abundant earthworm and insect
life in the soil.  Having written that, some of the "off list"
skepticism about the long term viability of gardening this way.

        Mining the soil?  I don't think so!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind