A couple of comments:

At the moment there is certainly no one-stop-shop IDE for SVG
development. It may be conceptually useful, then, to separate
development out into several tasks. This way, you can choose which
tool is most appropriate for any given task. I would propose that SVG
development may be separated at least into:

A. Graphical Design
B. Client-Side Scripting - If you're targeting the browser
environment,  you will almost certainly be required to write all of
your UI logic in JavaScript. This may involve leveraging certain AJAX
toolkits.
C. Server-Side Programming - In PHP, Ruby, Python. There may be a
database component involved as well.
D. Client-Side Debugging
E. Server-Side Debugging

For A, the best free tool, in my opinion, is Inkscape.

If need to hand-tune your XML after saving your work from Inkscape,
then you either need a plain text or specialized XML editor. Vim has
always been enough for me. oXygen is probably going to be overkill for
most things.

For B, client-side scripting, once again, I prefer Vim and
command-line tools, but I started with Aptana, and it is definitely
the most impressive, complete environment at the moment for writing
serious applications in JavaScript. It may be the case that Eclipse is
holding Aptana back from being very good at working with SVG.  It was
my understanding that, at the moment, Eclipse was poorly-suited for
working with SVG, because there is no SVG renderer that integrates
with SWT (Batik uses Java2D). On the other hand, SWT does have a Gecko
renderer integrated into it, so I wonder if it might not be worth
another look to see what would happen if you were to save a compound
XHTML-SVG document with the SVG content inlined inside, and open it up
in Eclipse's Gecko-based HTML previewer. If you make sure it has a
.xhtml extension, then the MIME type should no longer give you any
trouble, and it would be interesting to see if it would actually
render.

For D, debugging, I've had great success with Firebug, but only for
compound XHTML-SVG documents. For plain old SVG documents, Firebug
doesn't work at all, unfortunately. In general, this hasn't been a
limitation, because if you're going to leverage most AJAX toolkits,
you need the HTML context (this has at least been true for mootools
and dojo, in my experience, and seems to be true for prototype as
well, as I think I saw noted in some of the source code of the Lively
Kernel). I have also had success with Opera Dragonfly on compound
documents, but have not tested it on regular SVG documents. Aptana has
a debugger, but it is literally just using Firebug on the backend (it
actually needs to open up Firefox to debug), and is less featurful
than simply using Firebug (no command-line in Eclipse).

For C and E, take your pick of environments... It's interesting to
note that Aptana seems to be buying up all of the good Eclipse-based
environments for dynamic languages, including RadRails, and, recently,
Pydev, my favorite environment for Python development. Now if it would
just integrate them in a meaningful way, and be able to provide me
with a Gecko-based preview of the results, all right in the Eclipse
environment, then that would really be something....

Jake