>Well but that's the point of this string... you had to configure the crap
>yourself!  I've never had to do any such thing under windows!

You never had to configure anything in Windows? Reduce a bit your sound
card acceleration? Tweak around with your gfx card settings?

In DOS I only had to create the multiple configurations once (I usually did
XMS with HiMem, EMS with HiMem, Mixed with HiMem and clean XMS), and you
were set for every computer game out there.

>Try playing
>Chaos Engine on a regular install of MSDOS, the game wants every possible
>bit of memory it can have... spent ages trying to get it to run.  That
makes
>windows more like the older systems, like Amiga and ST.  Granted there
will
always be a level of complexity not existing in the old days due to the
open
hardware platform (especially when hardware manufacturers decide to make
things slightly off standard... I have stories about my WinTV Go card that
would make you cry).

>But to suggest as you did in a previous post that
>Linux makes plug and play easier, well yes, you will get your soundcard
>recognized, but will your programs (aka games) recognize it?

Sure. Haven't you ever played a game in Linux? I could surprise you with
some data. Quake 2 in Linux is way faster than same machine running Quake 2
in Windows. Better yet, Quake 2 for Windows on a Windows emulator in Linux
is faster than Quake 2 in Windows! Interesting, isn't it?

>That's another
>issue entirely, since there is no universally accepted api set.  I have
>never had to reset any of my system configurations (with the exception of
16
>bit or 32 bit color... hate when a game won't accept 32bit color... anyone
>know what the problem is with that from a coding stand point?)

No idea, but there are programs out there that let you "trick" the game
into thinking you're using another screen mode.

>for a windows
>program... it just runs.

And then it just crashes and you have no idea why ;)

>On the issue of crashing... all I can say is that Dos machines didn't
crash
>as much because they weren't doing as much!  Spec your windows system down
>to the bare minimum and only run one program at a time, with no lan
>connections or anything running, and believe me it won't crash either.

But you can run Linux with everything running and all services on, and it
won't crash. In the worst possible event, X will crash but not the OS, so
you can just start X again. Due to bad programming, an error in a software
in Windows usually crashes everything.

Yes, you've noticed by now how much I love Linux.

Pedro R. Quaresma
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

          "Karl Kuras"

          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

          16/11/01 14:54

          Solicita-se resposta a

          swcollect                      Para: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                          A/C:

                                          Ref:

                                          cc:

                                        Assunto: Re: OT Gates (was: [SWCollect] Rogue
(was Killer Games (was Soccer
                                        Games  (wasshock))))

From: "Pedro Quaresma" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Memmaker was not optimal. I could get better results by configuring
> config.sys & autoexec.bat myself, usually involving, IIRC,
> shadowing/unshadowing memory and other interesting tricks.
> I remember I used to get more than 600k base memory even with sound card
> and CD-ROM drivers loaded. Later on, with RDosUmb, 610+ was possible even
> with smartdrive loaded.

Well but that's the point of this string... you had to configure the crap
yourself!  I've never had to do any such thing under windows!  Try playing
Chaos Engine on a regular install of MSDOS, the game wants every possible
bit of memory it can have... spent ages trying to get it to run.  That
makes
windows more like the older systems, like Amiga and ST.  Granted there will
always be a level of complexity not existing in the old days due to the
open
hardware platform (especially when hardware manufacturers decide to make
things slightly off standard... I have stories about my WinTV Go card that
would make you cry).  But to suggest as you did in a previous post that
Linux makes plug and play easier, well yes, you will get your soundcard
recognized, but will your programs (aka games) recognize it?  That's
another
issue entirely, since there is no universally accepted api set.  I have
never had to reset any of my system configurations (with the exception of
16
bit or 32 bit color... hate when a game won't accept 32bit color... anyone
know what the problem is with that from a coding stand point?) for a
windows
program... it just runs.

On the issue of crashing... all I can say is that Dos machines didn't crash
as much because they weren't doing as much!  Spec your windows system down
to the bare minimum and only run one program at a time, with no lan
connections or anything running, and believe me it won't crash either.

Karl Kuras
Visit Our House the online comic strip!
http://ourhouse.trantornator.com

http://www.salvador-caetano.pt