From: Pedro Quaresma [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 10:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: OT Gates (was: [SWCollect] Rogue (was Killer Games (was
Soccer Games (wasshock))))

>If your game crashes...you have a complaint with the game, not the
operating
>system (usually).

Not really. So many games work on machine A,B & C, but not in D, but others
only seem to work on C & D but not on A & B...

>Poorly written/tested games will crash (or at least not
>work properly) under Linux, DOS or any other operating system.

Of course. But with poorly coded OSs (Windows) they may crash more often
than with stable ones.

>My favorite games don't crash under Windows.  Shoot even my ST emulator
doesn't crash
>(and it's freeware).  Again I'm not saying Windows is perfect...I'm saying
>that DOS wasn't perfect either...and the acceptance of Windows as a game
>development platform has made things easier for gamers, which has made the
>PC more acceptable as a mass-market gaming platform, which has meant more
>games for us.

>And I can assure you...as a highly technical, programmer/technical support
>person working in the computer industry at the time, the PC was DIFFICULT
>work with as a platform in the early nineties.  My 80-year-old parents
would
>not be able to look at pictures of their grandson on the Internet today if
>we still lived in a DOS world.  99.999999999999% of all game development
in
>the world would be done on consoles.

But this wasn't not a DOS vs Windows issue. If Windows had never existed we
would be much better with other stable OSes out there. And we'd still have
games.

>Hugh

Pedro R. Quaresma
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]