Karl Kuras wrote:

> From: "Jim Leonard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Consoles have had 3D on the horizon long, long before 3D accelerated
> > cards arrived for the PC
>
> I'm not arguing about 3D accelerators, I'm talking about 3D games (Wing
> Commander, Ultima Underworld, Wolfenstein, Doom et al).  Granted they aren't
> 3D from a processing standpoint, but they are 3D from a gameplay standpoint.
> And this is the big issue, would consoles have converted to hardware
> allowing this kind of game experience so readily had the PC not made it part
> of the gaming publics desires?  I mean, who would have thought prior to
> Underworld that first person gaming could be a lot of fun (Sorry, but Total
> Eclipse just put me to sleep... nice effort, but...).  Granted there were 3D
> flight sims int he past, but most tried to be complex instead of console
> style action.

Now that I understand your point, I'm still not sure I agree.  3D games
for home computers have existed as early as 1983 in great supply
(Battlezone, Stellar 7, Starglider, Elite) and I didn't see any true 3D
console games until, what, Hard Drivin' for the Lynx in 1990?

If you're saying that the success of Wolfenstein and Doom had an impact,
yes, they had an impact -- but I don't think it was an
industry-shattering impact.