On Jan 10, 2004, at 9:13 PM, Marco Thorek wrote:

I'm not sure if we had this topic before, but what "modern" games, say,
developed after 1994, would you consider collectible?

There's only a very few that come to my mind:

- The "Dragon Edition" of Ultima IX. Although it was the worst Ultima
IMHO, people seem to look for this edition.

- Planescape: Torment. Due to the lack of sales back then, hence
comparably small quantities are available, and the legendary status it
is gaining ever since, many people now seem to try to get a hold of it.
Personally I consider it the greatest RPG I played so far.

It is a lovely game. Lots of good, intelligent dialog. It reminded me of the good days of text adventures.

- Independence War (or I-War). Another game that was largely overlooked
and is now being sought for its status as the most realistic space
simulation.

And that's already where my list ends. There may be other games; the
above are only those I personally own and who I follow losely via their
fanbase and on ebay. Collector's editions may also come to mind, but as
I saw a Baldur's Gate II collector's edition go on ebay for about $25
just recently, that may not be a decisive criteria.

Definitely the Wing Commander III Premiere Edition in the film can.

The Roberta Williams Anthology.

The Ultima Online Charter Edition.

The Neverwinter Nights Collector's Edition just because of how much stuff you get with the game.

I would also watch any over-sized box collector's editions that had more than just a cloth map.

Maybe the Diablo 2 Collector's Edition just because Diablo 2 was a monster hit.

A number of the collector's/limited editions are ok (for example, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale II, Morrowind, or Pool of Radiance), but they don't elicit that "I must always have this" feeling that the above collector's editions do.

Also, while these aren't collector's editions per se, I do like the tins that Return to Castle Wolfenstein came in. I was so-so about the Quake III tin -- probably because I was so-so about the game -- but the RtCW tin just seem to fit the game.

--

Edward Franks