Ah, Richard, its very hard to argue with someone who uses XKCD to
illustrate their point, unfair !

But, "no official tags" ? truish. But when I am speaking to someone, I
am free to make up new words and grammar, but should not expect to be
understood. Better to agree in advance.

And yes, bike riders have a different view of whats paved. At the risk
of incurring an horrendous attack from the lycra clad, when it comes to
looking at maps before travelling to new destinations, they are a
subset. Maybe not where you live. A subset that should use surface=,
should be allowed to and supported doing so. I'll keep using surface=

Thirdly, a bit more philosophical, do you think that all OSM keys are
locked in stone ?  Should we never have the chance to review whats
happening, decide we got it a bit wrong, try again ? The sins of the
father shall be visited upon the son.....

The truth is the paved/unpaved state of a road is being widely ignored
or incorrectly interpreted. The map at osm.org illustrates my point,
perhaps as well as an XKCD cartoon :-)

Zoom in a bit at OSM and pop out the Key, it shows how unsurfaced roads
are rendered. But you don't see that on the map. Current model does not
work ! We can continue to argue is OK anyway or we can fix it. Choose.

David