I think before we can agree on this particular subtagging scenario we must
resolve whether to use "sells" or "sales" as the action verb. I'm all in
favor of using some sort of hierarchical structure to fine-tune the shop
tag as Thilo suggests but as you can see from Taginfo, the confusion exists
already and will only get worse down the road if it's not resolved.

As a native speaker of American English, clothes:sales=yes makes sense. It
does not _necessarily_ imply a special price or promotion but it's
ambiguous. The verb sells makes it clearer and unambiguous.

My 2 cents

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 11:44 PM, Thilo Haug <th...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I don't only refer to clothes shops,
> but to shops in general :
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/shop_subtags
>
> I don't think it's useful to discuss every single shop type from scratch
> if there's a couple of tags which MIGHT apply to most of the shops.
> We'll then see if they will be used. And if certain shops need extra tags.
> Kinda standardization, easier to handle for any tool referring to OSM.
>

> Am 03.09.2017 um 13:43 schrieb Andy Townsend:
> > On 02/09/2017 18:19, Thilo Haug wrote:
> >> Please consider there might be more useful subtags for shops, like :
> >>
> >> shop=clothes
> >> clothes:type=fashion/boutique/work/sport
> >> clothes:for=woman/men/children
> >> clothes:repair=yes
> >> clothes:rental=no
> >> shoes:sales=yes
> >>
> >> the "for" key is used here :
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:social_facility#Whom_
> is_served_by_the_facility
> >>
> >> sales, rental, repair is used here :
> >> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dmotorcycle
> >
> > By all means map clothes shops with extra detail, although no-one does
> > it like that.  "shop=clothes" has 180k examples, "clothes:for" 1 and
> > "clothes:rental" 1.  "clothes:type", "clothes:repair", "shoes:sales"
> > and even "shoes:sells" all get "nul points" from the taginfo jury.
> > "clothes" as a subtag is however widely used:
> >
> > https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/clothes (11k uses)
> >
> > Full range of combinations:
> >
> > https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/shop=clothes#combinations
> >
> > Best Regards