On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 16:33, Hufkratzer <hufkrat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, this was new to me; I thought the rule "Any tags you like" only
> applies to adding additional tags in the database and not to changing
> old tags or to rewrite the documentation. I will keep that in mind.

Yeah, I thought that too.  And it's not so much a guiding principal as an
admission of laxity.
Nobody can stop you inventing and using any tag you want, but it is most
certainly NOT
encouraged.  It is preferred that you discuss it here first, and go through
a formal proposal, in
order to prevent multiple tags for the same objects and/or poorly-conceived
tags.  We can't
stop you making tags up all by yourself, but we'd prefer it if you didn't.

As for inventing a new tag to replace existing tagging and then going
around changing existing
tags without consultation, that is borderline vandalism (no matter how well
conceived your new tag
is).  And then changing the wiki to match your new scheme that you
discussed with nobody in
order to provide a veneer of retro-active justification, I do consider that
to be vandalism.  OSM may
be a bit anarchical, but it cannot function unless it is a consensual
anarchy.

I do not consider this particular advice from Warin to be helpful or to
reflect the majority opinion.

--
Paul