On 06/01/19 04:07, Paul Allen wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 16:33, Hufkratzer <hufkrat...@gmail.com <mailto:hufkrat...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Oh, this was new to me; I thought the rule "Any tags you like" only
    applies to adding additional tags in the database and not to changing
    old tags or to rewrite the documentation. I will keep that in mind.

Yeah, I thought that too.  And it's not so much a guiding principal as an admission of laxity. Nobody can stop you inventing and using any tag you want, but it is most certainly NOT encouraged.  It is preferred that you discuss it here first, and go through a formal proposal, in order to prevent multiple tags for the same objects and/or poorly-conceived tags.  We can't
stop you making tags up all by yourself, but we'd prefer it if you didn't.

There is no requirement not to use any new tag that you like. Nor is there a requirement to document it.

What 'we' would like is another matter.
As for 'encouragement' the proposal process and then the voting reality is far from any from or 'encouragement' .. more like a torture path, look at the rejected proposals and the way that votes were cast by people who took no part in the discussions.

What I would like is some discussion here first. I would highly encourage that and have done so in the past. Then the person can make a decision - used it and document it or make a formal proposal. I no longer encourage people to the tagging list, and certainly not to the proposal process.

As for inventing a new tag to replace existing tagging and then going around changing existing tags without consultation, that is borderline vandalism (no matter how well conceived your new tag is).  And then changing the wiki to match your new scheme that you discussed with nobody in order to provide a veneer of retro-active justification, I do consider that to be vandalism.  OSM may be a bit anarchical, but it cannot function unless it is a consensual anarchy.

That was not my intent! I quote