Alaska, with its huge population of bears, has these bear-proof receptacles
at all public campsites. I think bear_box will serve the purpose but it
doesn't work for other types of animal-proof containers as Joseph pointed
out. However, those other types are not very common, if they exist at all.

Still, if we want to allow for easy expansion of the tagging scheme then
using waste_basket=bear-proof, for example, would help such future
expansion.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 12:36 AM Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that bear_box is clearer. Most food storage is not bear-proof.
>
> If there are other food storage options that are simply racoon-proof
> or squirrel-proof, they can be tagged differently, but I'm not aware
> of any of these.
>
> On 8/22/19, JS <grimpeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > That would seem like a rather odd idea. Why would a bear be stored in a
> box,
> > and even more so at a camping site?

> >>  Actually something like that is probably a better term. I think 'bear
> >>box' only because that's the term I'm familiar with.
> >
> > I find "bear box" a pretty instructive term. More generic terms don't
> seem
> > to catch the idea of protecting food from animals quite as well. The
> boxes
> > were developed against bears and thus got their named. Also, from my Jack
> > London influenced imagination, I immediately understood what we're
> talking
> > about here. Thus, I'd go for "bear box=yes/no", even in areas where there
> > are no bears.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand