It should be noted that (for Nodes) id + version is actually stable
(Ways and Relations are more complicated).

So if you have id + version, you can

- check that it is the current version of the object (all fine and dandy)

- check if there is a later (undeleted) version, check if it (depending
on your criteria) is still the "same object", update version in your
reference

- if the last version is deleted or your criteria for it being the same
object doesn't hold, search in the vicinity for a replacement object.

Doing the same for Ways and Relations requires including a location
reference of some kind as geometry changes are not reflected in the
versions, but can work in principle the same.

Simon