On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 13:11:07 +0000, Karel Adams <fa348...@skynet.be> wrote:
> Excuse me for being pecky on language - for this once I feel free
> because language is (more or less) the subject matter anyway.

It's not – typography of road references is. Typography is distinct from
language in general.

> Where @jakka writes "space", and @ruben neatly follows suit, I think the
> actual meaning is "blank".
>
> nl "spatie" => en "blank"
>
> en "space" => nl "ruimte"

"Space" in English has well over 20 distinct meanings. One of them is
 • according to Wiktionary[1]: "(letterpress typography) A piece of metal type
used to separate words, cast lower than other type so as not to take ink,
especially one that is narrower than one en (compare quad). [from 17thc.]".
 • according to OED[2]:  "In a text: an interval or blank between words, lines,
etc.; (Typography) any of several intervals or blanks of varying widths used to
separate words, justify lines, etc. Now also (in an electronic or typewritten
text): an interval or blank equivalent to one character, which may be produced
by pressing a specific key (cf. space bar n.)."

> Not wanting to "score" any personal hits, just for the common good:
> allow me to recommend that English should only be used by those who
> master that subtle language really well.

What the fuck?

> There is no reason for not
> posting in one's native language, on a list of regional importance such
> as this.

There is: on this list the accepted standard is to use English, as a compromise
between Dutch, French and German.

[1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/space#Noun item 3.4
[2]
http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/185414?rskey=BIiqG4&result=1&isAdvanced=false#eid21540226