Route Codes were used on the Southern, and provision was also made for them
to appear on the front of Turbos and Networkers, though it wasn't much used
(and very little north of the Thames). Each route code in theory tells you
the stopping pattern. None of the current operators is very keen on using
them, though fashions change. The London Bridge cognoscenti know them, but
the general view is that they aren't very user-friendly, and London
Underground style platform screens are preferred.

Timetable numbers are maintained by Network Rail, largely at their
discretion, and generally cover more than one service. Not all that many
people use the national timetable, especially since they stopped printing
it (more use pocket timetables published by the operators, and even more use
journey planners). The number isn't really helpful unless you want to find
something in the big book.

If we use the operator code in relations, it won't be too hard to change
when it transfers.

We should probably try to set up a separate service (line) relation for each
service (and for each direction), just the same as buses, but we'll have to
give them names based on the origin/destination, and maybe not give them a
ref for the moment.

Network Rail is the operator of the Network, not of trains (at least, not
passenger trains). The same distinction occurs in every European country
(though the distinction is a bit theoretical in some).

Richard