Note Brian's email below (which didn't go to the list)

The only brown routes I could spot were named after a railway service. I'm
not sure it entirely knows what it is, but it's not a coding of the
infrastructure:

1) Between Duisberg and Oberhausen
VRR (ie the local transport network- not everything is sponsored by Deutsche
Bahn! VRR is the equivalent of Centro; the actual operator is somebody else
again)
RB36 (RegionalBahn - ie a local train, not part of the S-Bahn system,
probably a diesel 3-car service)
2) Dusseldorf Airport Skytrain, again sponsored by VRR. This looks like an
isolated line, but it still looks like it's the service being tagged, not
the infrastructure.

Attaching these relation types to infrastructure is definitely "tagging for
the renderer"

Services break down (in my experience) into roughly the following
categories:
Frequent stopping services
Infrequent stopping services
Outer commuter services (only in large cities)
Semi-fast medium-distance services
Fast long-distance services (usually, though not always, with one end of the
route dominant)
Very fast long-distance services (ie TGV)

Richard