On 7 Jun 2010, at 13:08, Ed Avis wrote:

> Frederik Ramm <frede...@...> writes:
>
>> Is anybody sure that the OS's attribution requirements are adequately
>> addressed by current practice, and when moving to ODbL later?
>>
>> Under ODbL it will be possible to use non-substantial amounts of data
>> from OSM without any attribution (this is not disputed), and
>> furthermore
>> (this is disputed and the following is only the opinion of myself
>> plus
>> at least one member of the licensing working group) it will be
>> possible
>> to create a produced work from OSM data and license that under a
>> license
>> that does not require attribution, so attribution can become lost
>> "down
>> the line".
>
> I don't think this matters; if someone else infringes the attribution
> requirement isn't that between them and OS?  We have done our part.

Fear is an amazing thing. Two Prime Minister's have provided their
total support to opening up this data (and much more). I can see no
circumstances where the Minister in charge of the OS would attack
OpenStreetMap with a legal case based on a technicality. For sure,
lets include the source tag, but one should always ask who will sue
and why and what gain they would achieve. There are indeed
organisations which mught gain from suing but the OS is not one of them.

Regards,

Peter