Peter,

Peter Miller wrote:
> Fear is an amazing thing. Two Prime Minister's have provided their
> total support to opening up this data (and much more).

"Opening up" is not a legal term, and can mean anything. I have even
heard people speaking of "opening up" data when they meant to release it
under a NC license.

> I can see no
> circumstances where the Minister in charge of the OS would attack
> OpenStreetMap with a legal case based on a technicality.

The thing is, OSM doesn't (usually) fight legal cases. So it would not
need a legal case here, just a letter from whoever the boss of the OS is
at the moment, saying "please stop using our data because your platform
does not fulfil our attribution requirement". I'm not familiar with how
things work in the UK but I doubt such a letter would even require
approval on the ministerial level.

I'm just thinking: Either attribution matters to them, then they would
dislike our dispensing their data in a way that makes attribution
optional; or attribution doesn't matter to them then why do they ask for
it in the first place?

But enough of my meddling in UK affairs; I guess you all know what
you're doing. And anyway I'm just envious ;)

Bye
Frederik